Gutters allow rainwater to flow away from a house and can prevent a host of problems. Many homeowners do not realize how much damage water can cause to their homes and how important it is to keep the gutters clean and free of debris. These are the many ways that gutters can protect your house from damage.
• Gutters direct water away from the foundation. If they are clogged, water can seep into the foundation and cause the basement to be flooded.
• Water that gets into the foundation from overflowing gutters can also cause it to become damaged or cracked.
• Water that overflows from gutters can cause mold in a basement or crawlspace. Keeping your gutters clean can allow water to flow away from your house.
• Water can cause paint damage and stain the exterior of your house. Gutters keep water off the siding.
• Water that flows along a roof and siding can damage the wood and cause rot. Clean gutters can prevent this.
• Water that flows directly onto your landscaping can erode the topsoil. Gutters and downspouts direct water away from the landscaping.
• Insects such as mosquitoes breed in standing water. If you keep your gutters clean, you can avoid standing water and keep insects away from you and your family.
It doesn’t take a lot of water to cause significant damage to your house and landscaping. If your gutters are not working properly, just one rainstorm can cause flooding or other types of damage.
You can prevent damage to your house by cleaning your gutters twice a year, preferably in the spring and fall. You can clean them yourself or hire a contractor to do it. You should also have the gutters inspected to make sure they are securely attached to the house and pitched correctly so rainwater can flow to the downspouts and not accumulate in the gutters. You should also have them checked for rust, dents, holes, and damaged hangers or joints.
Get a Quote for Gutter Cleaning or Repair
Regular gutter cleaning can prevent significant and costly damage to your house. Connecticut Gutter & Exteriors can clean your gutters to remove any leaves, sticks, pine needles, or other debris that are clogging them so water can flow away from your house. We can also inspect your gutters to find and repair any damage so they will work correctly throughout the year. If you need a quote for gutter cleaning or repairs, contact Connecticut Gutter & Exteriors today.