Clogged Gutters Can Cause Foundation Damage and Mold
When gutters are cleaned regularly, they allow water to flow away from a house. If gutters become clogged, water can overflow and fall to the ground near the house, where it can cause damage to the foundation. This can cause major structural problems, as well as mold that can affect your family’s health and damage the property located inside your house.
How Clogged Gutters Affect a House’s Foundation
If gutters become filled with debris, such as leaves, twigs, and pine needles, this can prevent water from flowing correctly. Water that overflows can slowly erode the foundation and eventually cause cracks and leaks. If the cracks are severe, it is possible that the house could cave in.
Less severe, but still serious, damage can occur. Foundation cracks can cause leaks and flooding in the basement that can damage the flooring, walls, furniture, and anything else located there.
Foundation damage caused by water from clogged gutters can void your foundation warranty. Foundation warranties usually contain language that specifically requires homeowners to keep their gutters clean. Failing to clean the gutters can void the warranty and leave you with an expensive repair bill.
Foundation Leaks Can Lead to Mold
Another concern associated with a foundation leak is mold. Water in the basement can cause mold to grow on the walls, on flooring, and on other items located there. Mold in a house can cause serious health problems, including trouble breathing and serious allergic reactions. Removing mold from a house is expensive and time-consuming.
How to Prevent Clogged Gutters and Other Problems
Fortunately, it is easy to prevent clogged gutters and associated foundation damage and mold. Cleaning your gutters regularly can remove leaves and other debris that can cause them to become clogged. Gutters should be cleaned at least twice a year.
You can reduce the amount of cleaning required by installing gutter guards. These are covers that go over the gutters to keep leaves and twigs out so water can flow freely.
Get an Estimate for Gutter Cleaning or Gutter Guard Installation
Connecticut Gutter & Exteriors is a professional gutter company providing gutter cleaning services and gutter guard installation. We can remove leaves and other debris from your gutters and install gutter guards so you will only have to clean them every few years. This can protect your home from serious damage that is expensive to repair. Contact Connecticut Gutter & Exteriors today to get an estimate.
All Gutter Related Help Articles
- Are Box Gutters Right for Your Home?
- Are My Rain Gutters Making Me Sick?
- Benefits of Aluminum Gutters
- Benefits of Copper Gutters
- Benefits of Galvanized Steel Gutters
- Benefits of Gutter Guards
- Benefits of Roof and Gutter Heating Systems
- Benefits of Zinc Gutters
- Do Gutter Guards Need Regular Maintenance?
- Clogged Gutters Can Cause Foundation Damage and Mold
- Gutter Cleaning Safety Tips
- How Often Do Gutters Need to Be Cleaned?
- How to Clean Your Gutters
- How to Fix Sagging Gutters
- How to Keep Animals and Insects out of Your Gutters
- How to Know If You Should Repair or Replace Your Gutters
- How to Prevent Ice Dams from Damaging Your House
- Pros and Cons of Half Round Gutters
- Remove Snow from Your Roof This Winter
- Should You Install Your Own Gutters or Hire a Contractor?
- Signs Your Gutters Need Replacing
- The Benefits of K-Style Gutters
- The Most Common Causes of Leaky Gutters
- Things to Discuss before Hiring a Gutter Company