With winter fading and the snow clearing, now is a good time to review the exterior of your home and determine if anything needs repairs or replacing. Gutters and roofs will be on top of any checklist, but another are you need to pay attention to is the siding. Unfortunately, most homeowner’s take siding or granted and even when cracked or peeling, fail to act.
However, if you neglect your home siding you can be helping utility bills rise and will also be spending more since the worn siding will need constant re-painting.
Here are a few signs to look for that will indicate your home needs new siding.
– If your home needs painting every five years, that’s a sign something is wrong. A home with solid siding should keep its shape and color for at least ten years and anything less is a good indication that the siding is wearing down.
– If your energy bills are rising (both in the summer and in the winter) this is a sign that the insulation is not doing its job and this can be due to faulty siding. The exterior siding is your home’s first line of defense against the elements and if it is worn, cracked or peeling it will show up on your utility bill.
– When doing an inspection of your home, look for siding that is warped and rotting. This will be easy to spot and if you take a screwdriver and poke under the exterior layer. If the siding is soft and begins to chip and crumble, then you definitely need to replace the siding.
– You can also tell siding needs to be replaced by looking at the inside of a home. If paint and wallpaper are peeling and pulling away from the wall, this can be a indication that the exterior siding is failing.
– Lastly, if you notice fungus, mold and mildew growing on a home’s siding, this is a bad sign. If this growth is near the seams then it probably means water is penetrating and being held inside the wall.
As a homeowner, you need to perform periodic inspections to ensure your siding is doing its job. If you notice any of the above signs, don’t hesitate to call a siding specialist who can do a professional and thorough inspection and determine if your siding needs repairs or replacing.